FEEL-GOOD STORY. A young woman with dyslexia struggled with science, and had a chemistry teacher who discouraged her ambition to be an anesthesiologist. Later, after having children, she decided to try nursing school. Go read a Marketplace transcript to find out what happened next.
ANXIETY IN TEENS. From an NPR story: "Teens and children struggling with anxiety are often prescribed medication or therapy to treat their symptoms. For many, either drugs or therapy is enough, but some young people can't find respite from anxious thoughts. For them, a study suggests that using both treatments at once can help." Find it.
BEAUTIFUL MINDS, the newsletter from Scott Barry Kaufman, is out in its October edition. It points to a variety of podcasts, interviews, videos, articles, and other resources of possible interest to those in the 2e community. For example, there's a pointer to an article on introversion and extroversion; to a video by Scott Barry Kaufman on the limits of IQ testing; and to an interview on the topic of grit. Find the newsletter.
EVENTS. Coming up:
- An October 5th webinar from Understood titled "Evidence-based Approaches to Help Kids with Dyslexia"; find out more.
- A live, free event on October 4th in Sacramento, California, by the UC Davis MIND Institute titled "Navigating a New Autism Spectrum Diagnosis." find out more.
- And an October 5th webinar from SENG, "Misdiagnosis and Dual Diagnosis of Gifted Children," featuring James Webb, SENG's founder and lead author of a book by the same name; find out more. (SENG has its own name for webinars, preferring to call them SENGinars. This one, however, is truly a "Webb-inar." 😃)
- The microbiome and emotions. The Brain and Behavior Research Foundation has posted on how microbes in our gut affect emotions. Find it.
- Video gamers. Neuropsychologists let video gamers compete against non-gamers in a learning competition. During the test, the video gamers performed significantly better and showed an increased brain activity in the brain areas that are relevant for learning.Find the study write-up.
SELF-CARE FOR PARENTS of 2e kiddos -- that's the topic of Jen the Blogger's latest piece.It's called, "Caring for Your Soul in this Age of Fear." Need that advice? Find it.